Monday, October 28, 2019

Day 36, Somewhere in Kansas, a slight trip Interruption

At about 2pm, i was driving up an incline somewhere along the long empty stretch in fourth gear in Kansas when I heard a loud pop from my transmission. I then tried to put the transmission in 5th gear, but heard all kinds of grinding. I then pulled off at a nearby exit and the cab starting filling with smoke. I called AAA to tow me to Topeka, 200 miles away to a Motel 60 off i-70. Tomorrow, i will see if I can find a mechanic in Topeka who can repair whatever might be the problem. If it cannot be repaired, or if it is, but i do not have the confidence to drive it 1100 miles back to DC, i will wait in Topeka until it can be shipped back and rent a van to drive us home. We are off the highway, but it is cold 30 degrees and snowing. Fortunately, the engine is running and we have heat, without the blasts of cold air we get when driving.

If it is not one thing, it is another. But I will deal with this as i have everything else and we will win.

Ed and Donner, from the road, the cold, snowy road in Kansas.

Top photo...the Defender disabled
Bottom photo ...where we are

No comments:

Post a Comment