Saturday, September 21, 2019

Getting there

Here’s the Todo list now.  Blue is packed (I am 99% packed in all containers but 3); yellow is desk work; green is before I walk out the door, and gray is done.  Tomorrow set off no longer doable, Monday 100% chance.

 

 

Two snags yesterday, one were updating my Garmin.  You now need high speed internet to do it, but an advanced engineering degree. Whatever happened to a simple [UPDATE] button.

 

Another snag was with buying the food boxes.  It seems they do not sell Uncle Ben’s Instant Brown Rice (a staple for me on my trips) anymore in Georgetown.  The only rice they sell is the stuff that requires a PhD degree in Asia Culinary Arts  to pronounce or understand the directions in cooking (and maybe to eat it). I had to drive across state lines to find a box, and then it is 10-minote rice, not instant.  This means I have to carry more propane canisters, but since I do not have room for any more after Donner expropriated my supply box, this means more stops along the way at Walmart’s, which means more days on the road, which means I get home later than expected, which means driving through inclement weather over the Rockies, etc.,  all so the people of Georgetown can eat their fancy rice.

 

Here’s the sequence of those creating food boxes, which I take along in case I am stuck someplace for more days than planned or arrive late in a camp. I take between 10 and 12 of them, so I only have to replenish them once a week of so.

 

1. Plan the menu:  There 16 items planned in each food box (the soup and rice do not go in there)

 

2. Purchase the items and set out on table for packing

 

3. Put 12 items in each food box, 12 times

 

 

4 Pack all Boxes in container (note Donner’s canned food hitchhiking in this container, too)

 

 

5. To get this on top of the vehicle, I have to unpack it and hand up the items one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment