Sunday, September 29, 2019

Day 7, 200 miles today, 1950 miles in total

The repair for my air mattress did not hold. No sense getting another...it'll happen again. The ground will do as my mattress.

As i wrote earlier, i discovered that the lid on my food boxes container blew off somewhere yesterday. I retraced my path yesterday and could not find it. I jerry-rigged a temporary solution with a tarp and bought a new inferior container at Walmarts in Rapid City. Tomorrow, i will take the lid off Donner's second food box and transfer it to mine, put his food in the new container, and seal it up with duct tape until needed in three weeks, but keep the container itself in case i can replace the lid.

I was hesitant to cut my drive short today, but when i realized i would not make Buffalo until 6:30, 200 miles up the road i settled in to the first camp i hit after 4:30, Keyhole State Park near Sundance, where i was stranded for two days until i could get my headlights back. When i finished the evening's chores here by 7, before i lost daylight, i was thrilled with my decision.

Tomorrow, we will move on, but i am not sure where to. My options for Yellowstone are narrowing by the day. I may just drive through and move on. The truth is, i planned it as a destination only because it was in the direction i wanted to go and i had already mapped out the first 10 days. I would, however, like to see the Lamar Valley in the snow.

Thunderstorms have been hitting the area all around us for an hour, but not us. They are gone now. Reminds me of the trip back from Alaska in 2000 in Winnipeg when we got caught in a one-hour lightening storm that centered directly on us, and could not have been more than a couple of hundred feet above us.

Oops, the thunderstorm is back. And now it is hitting us. Gotta go.

Ed and Donner, from the road from Keyhole National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment