Friday, September 27, 2019

Day 5, Badlands National Park, South Dakota, 1745 miles

Daylight did not break until 720 this morning so we got a late start on the road, but i set off with hopes of making it to Badland National Park by 5pm. drive was an easy one, almost a 330 mile straight shot, except for one left turn, 80 mph limit, and no traffic.although mostly flat earth in all directions, it has a beauty of its own.

I decided to pull into a Walmart right off the highway to roll down the Defender's side and rear windows because the ride was getting a little chilly. I also stocked up on a few extra supplies in case we head into Yellowstone. I also bought a mid-weight jacket for the third time on my trips. I keep tossing it from the gear when packing thinking it won't be needed. When will i learn?

We are camped right next to the site i camped in last year. As i was getting into the tent last year, i had to squeeze past Donner who had taken up residence on my mattress. As i did, I pressed up against my bag and the bear spray in it discharged. It took an hour to clean up the mess. Later, when i went back into the tent, i touched part of my bag with bear spray still on it and then rubbed my eye. Then the pain set in. As I went running from the tent to get a syringe to wash my eye out, two French women, Gayle and Amber, camped in their car next to my site came to my aid. Within the hour, things were back to normal, except that Gayle and Amber had looked their keys in their car. For the next three hours, they sat in the Defender in 20 degree weather waiting fir AAA to come to help them open their car.

Fortunately, there was no repeat of that experience tonight. However, as i settled into the tent tonight i realized i had forgotten my tent seat, so i went back to the Defender to retrieve it. As i approached the tent, i could hear Donner having the tine of his life "making" his bed, as dogs do as if they are digging a hole to sleep in. Wow, he must really like that bed of his, i thought. As i crawled into the tent (yes, that's how i have to get in) i saw that it was not his bed but my mattress he was digging. He had found an opening and took advantage of the opportunity. Needless to say, that mattress is no longer self-inflating with Donner's several deep gashes in it. Until i try to repair it, i will in effect be sleeping on the ground. It was my own fault that this happened. He was just having a good time, at my expense.

I decided to stay at Badlands for two days so i can let the snow situation at Yellowstone sort itself out. If the northeast entrance is closed due to the snow, i will move on.

Ed and Donner, from the road, Bad-dog National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment