Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Day 30, October 22, Grand Canyon north rim, Kaibab National Forest bivouac

Last night was a busy night for us. For Donner, he met at least 10 new dogs. For me, i fed Donner, set up camp, had a light dinner, took a shower, did the laundry, sent off photos to my blog, wrote in my journal, posted an entry on my blog, took Donner to meet all those dogs, and God onky knows what else, all in five hours. I wish i had this efficiency at hime.

Dawn did not appear till 8 am this morning, but we got on the road by 930. My first task was to head into St George to the nearest Jiffy Lube, but i left after they told me there might be a long wait. Twenty miles up the road, i found another, so i pulled in. I learned something i did not know before, that i should be carrying the paper air filters and not the permanent ones i use since it takes hours for those permanent filters to dry, if they will service them at all, and that means time off the road, which means useable daylight. Instead of driving 9000 miles on one air filter, i will order one to be shipped to a friend in Denver so i get get a clean one put in for the long trip home.

I already posted commentary about how awesome Zion was, so i will add no more. Like most of these natural beauties, photos and words cannot do them justice. You have to live them to know them

I also already posted about our situation with a campsite for tonight. No big deal. There is something enriching to the soul about spending a night alone in a cold, remote forest. It strengthens one's constitution and mettle, but i was quite happy with mine already. Of course, hunters do it all the time, but they have big guns; i only have a lovable German shepherd dog who goes around kissing every dog he meets. But give me Donner any day.

Now that dark set in a 7, i expect the forest is all ours tonight. No one in his or her right mind would dare drive that trail we had to take to get here at night, maybe during the day, too,

Tomorrow, we will break camp and head back to the North Rim, 17 miles away. i should have our camp set up there by noon, and then we will tour the north rim for the next six hours. If i can get a site for the next night, i just might stay an extra day, but my instincts tell me it is time to move on and bring this incredible journey to an end, still at least 12 days away.

Time to get some shuteye, and hope the Defender starts tomorrow.

Ed and Donner, from the road, the dark, empty, very cold, isolated, remote Kaibab forest near the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment