Monday, October 28, 2019

Day 1 of Trip interruption, the Wichita Kansas Saga

For those who did not read my earlier posting, the Defender had a hiccup today, a big one. Sometime around 2, driving down cold, snowy I-70, headed for DC, 1500 or so miles distant, by way of Toledo tonight, my transmission threw a tantrum of sorts...a loud popping sound, grinding noises, and then smoke. I was able to drive it a mile off the highway to a remote road, and called AAA for assistance. Donner and i sat in the Defender for almost five hours in the cold and snow waiting for aye AAA truck, and he finally arrived before six, just as dark set in. Fortunately, we had plenty of gas and we so kept somewhat warm with the engine and heater on.

Originally, i set out plans to take the Defender to Topeka, where we had plans to spend the night anyway, but Phil, the very able AAA driver suggested Wichita, where there was a Land Rover dealer. I called the service department there and they said if i brought out in tomorrow, they might be able to asses what needs to be done over the next week. But that it would be at least two weeks before they could get to it.

Phil and i headed to a nearby La Quinta Hotel where i just finished setting up "camp" day for a week or longer. Depending upon what happens at LandRover, one option is to have the Defender shipped back home once again, but this time we will drive back ourselves instead of flying.in the meantime, i have my days cut out for me work8ng on plans A, B, and C, still fresh from my trip three years ago.

I took a risk taking this trip with the Defender, and i am glad i did. The trip was perfect until now, just four days from home. You win some, and you lose some. But i will say this, that formidable machine will get back on the road one way or another. Vincrro, Vincero, VINCERO.


I Will post at least once a day about this saga.

Ed and Donner, from the road

1 comment: